I’m A Medical Provider
PLEASE CALL IMMEDIATELY IF SEXUAL CONTACT OCCURRED WITHIN THE PAST 72 HOURS WITHIN ONE OF OUR KIDS 47 COVERED TENNESSEE COUNTIES: (615) 341-4911.
Real life circumstances do not always clearly meet clinical guidelines. Due to the importance of timing when considering forensic exams, always call with any questions or concerns.
Population we serve
- Any adolescent 15 years or younger, regardless of jurisdiction of crime
- Adolescents 16 and 17 years old when DCS is involved in the investigation
- Developmentally delayed young adults on a case-by-case basis
Who needs an exam?
- 5 or younger when there are concerns of sexual abuse
- Who describes something going inside their body
- Delayed/non-verbal child
- Reporting pain and/or bleeding
- With symptoms that might indicate sexually transmissible infection (STI)
Our Kids will always consider treating people outside our populations or specifications in special circumstances. Please consult with Our Kids staff.
Where does Our Kids see children?
- At Our Kids center in Nashville, Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- At satellite clinics on designated days
- At Nashville General Hospital when paged after hours
Our Kids offers 24/7 coverage to 47 counties in Middle Tennessee. Ask for Nashville General Hospital staff to page Our Kids clinical staff on call.
Our Kids referral sources
- Department of Children’s Services
- Law enforcement
- Emergency rooms
- Family members
- Other concerned citizens
The Our Kids experience
Our Kids model is child-centered and compassionate, addressing both the medical needs of the child and the emotional health of both the child and the family. Our therapeutic approach before, during and after the exam facilitates healing and is not traumatic for the child.
Investigative authorities make the decision whether abuse occurred or not. Our Kids provides a place where children can be examined in a respectful and healing way. A visit to Our Kids usually lasts 2-3 hours. We also screen some children for infections resulting from a sexual assault.
- Staff includes nurse practitioners, master’s level social workers, and a medical consultant who are able to diagnose and treat any illness or infection
- Has Spanish speaking clinical staff on site
- Serves a 47-county area in Middle Tennessee
- Evaluates more than 800 children each year.
- Collects forensic evidence and testifies in courts all over Middle Tennessee, Northern Alabama and Southern Kentucky
- Sees children at 6 locations