In 2014, Our Kids and 6 other local non-profits launched a new educational initiative in Davidson County. As part of The Nashville Child Protection Coalition, in partnership with The HCA Foundation and The Children’s Hospital at TriStar Centennial, the Stewards of Children training program teaches the community how to prevent, recognize and respond to child sexual abuse.
The Darkness to Light’s Stewards of Children curriculum helps people pull down the wall of denial. It gives adults the ability to hold institutions accountable and teach them how to respond if a child makes a disclosure of sexual abuse.
Steward of Children Video Introduction
Adult Child Sexual Abuse Prevention Program
The Tennessee Chapter of Children’s Advocacy Centers believes that adults are responsible for the safety of children and appreciates your desire to help protect the children in your community by exploring our program.
What is Stewards of Children?
Stewards of Children is a prevention training program that teaches adults how to prevent, recognize and react responsibly to child sexual abuse. The program is designed for organizations that serve youth and for individuals concerned about the safety of children. It is the only nationally distributed, evidence-based program proven to increase knowledge, improve attitudes, and change child protective behaviors. Research findings from independent evaluators are available on www.D2L.org.
What are the outcomes of the program?
- Increased awareness of the prevalence, consequences, and circumstances of child sexual abuse.
- New skills for adults to prevent, recognize, and react responsibly to child sexual abuse.
- Positive change to organizational policies and procedures.
- Individual commitment to action through a personal prevention plan.
What are the distinctive features of the program?
- A two-part DVD presentation integrating commentary from sexual abuse survivors, experts in the field and other concerned adults all providing practical guidance for preventing and responding to sexual abuse.
- An interactive workbook designed to facilitate discussion, reinforce key concepts, and serve as a resource guide and personal action plan for resolving child sexual abuse.
- A Facilitator-led discussion about important issues in sexual abuse prevention and the relevance of these issues within the community and organizations that serve children.
Who uses the program?
Stewards of Children is for anyone who wants to make a difference in their community by educating adults about the protection of children. It is also used by organizations, businesses, and corporations who:
- Seek training for staff, volunteers and parents in the prevention of child sexual abuse.
- Look to enhance their child protection policies and procedures or respond to insurance requirements.
- Want to lead a community-based initiative and offer prevention training to the community.
How is the program delivered?
Stewards of Children is a 2-hour training program led by an Authorized Facilitator who has been trained by Darkness to Light. TNCAC trained 50 Authorized Facilitators across Tennessee. For a list of Authorized Facilitators please see the Facilitator Directory at www.tncac.org.
How can I bring Stewards of Children to my community?
Contact the Tennessee Chapter of Children’s Advocacy Centers to schedule a training in your community.
- Lauren Looser, Community Outreach Coordinator, 615.327.9958 ext 2004 or email@example.com
- Katherine Snyder, Program Director, 615.327.9958 ext 2013 or firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ambler Brown, Prevention Specialist in East Tennessee, (865) 986-1505, ext 109, email@example.com